Saturday, July 02, 2016

Twitter Thoughts—April 2016 Week 4

Featuring the films:
Purple Rain (1984) **½
Alambrista! (1977) ****
Keanu (2016) ***
Dead Poet’s Society (1989) ***
Ant-Man (2015) ***
Solarbabies (1986) *

We’re just going to have to whip through most of this stuff so I can catch up to where I’m at today with movies and TV. This was the week after Prince died, so I kicked it off with “Purple Rain”, which I had never seen. Probably because I doubted it was very good. Despite the fact that we lost a great artist, I’m pretty sure I’m right in thinking that cinema wasn’t his best medium. This screening confirmed that belief. I then watched the wonderful 70’s film about Mexican illegals, “Alambastra!”, which should probably be seen by everyone who believes that immigrants are just living off of our sweat. I also saw Key & Peele’s first feature film “Keanu”, about their search for their lost gangsta cat. The movie capitalizes off their ability to convolute black stereotypes, but could use a little deeper foundation work. It was enjoyable enough though. I revisited “Dead Poet’s Society” and “Ant-Man” for the first time since my initial viewings. That was a much longer period of time for Poet’s. I still found the same problems I had 25 years ago with that one, but I liked “Ant-Man” even more the second time. Finally, the mind-boggling “Solarbabies” was my HDTGM movie for the week, truly begging the question, “How Did This Get Made?”


Here are the tweets.

4/26
So the coolest guy on the planet in 1984 was living in his parent's basement? ‪#PurpleRain ‪#trendsetter ‪#DLMChallenge No. 107

4/28
A fascinating tour of the illegal immigrant life in the ‪@Criterion film ‪#Alambrista ‪#DLMChallenge No. 108

4/30
‪#KEANU‪ is funny, but it wasn't the perfection of comic brilliance I wanted it to be. #DLMChallenge No. 109‬

The Robin Williams character in ‪#DeadPoetsSociety is perfectly realized, but the rest feels too standard to be great. ‪#DLMChallenge No. 110

5/1
People praised ‪@deadpoolmovie for it's humor, but ‪@AntMan did pretty well on the humor front first. ‪#DLMChallenge No. 111

Is there a reason that rollerskates are so prominent in the dystopian futures of sci fi cinema? ‪#Solarbabies  ‪@HDTGM ‪#DLMChallenge No. 112

No comments: